Cite this page: Gulwani H. Duplication. PathologyOutlines.com website. https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/smallbowelduplication.html. Accessed October 21st, 2021.
Definition / general
- Saccular to long, cystic structures which usually have shared muscular wall (so incomplete duplication)
- More common in ileum, near ileocaecal valve; rare in duodenum, where choledochocele (cystic or diverticular dilatation of terminal intramural portion of the common bile duct) is more common
- Present with abdominal mass, pain, vomiting and chronic rectal bleeding
- Associated with gastric heterotopia but not associated with vertebral body abnormalities
- 51 year old man with adenocarcinoma arising in a cystic duplication (World J Surg Oncol 2012;10:55)
- Resect entire duplication and segment of normal bowel attached to it