Cite this page: Gulwani H. Hernias. PathologyOutlines.com website. https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/smallbowelhernias.html. Accessed June 1st, 2020.
Definition / general
- Protrusion of pouch-like, serosa lined sac of peritoneum (hernia sac) through weakness or defect in wall of peritoneal cavity
- Usually inguinal and femoral canals, umbilicus and surgical scars
- Rarely around ligament of Trietz
- Viscera may protrude and become trapped in hernias, including bowel loops and omentum
- Complications: incarceration, strangulation, infarction