Cite this page: Pernick N. Oil Red O. PathologyOutlines.com website. https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/stainsoilredo.html. Accessed June 7th, 2020.
Definition / general
- Stain identifies neutral lipids and fatty acids
- Fresh smears / cryostat sections of tissue are necessary because alcohols used in tissue processing remove lipids
- Rapid and simple routine stain
- Differentiate fibroma from thecoma (not that important a distinction)
- Diagnose renal cell carcinoma, sebaceous gland tumors of skin, lipid-rich carcinomas
- Identify fat emboli in lung tissue or clot sections of peripheral blood