Cite this page: Abdelzaher, E. Syrinx. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/cnstumorsyrinx.html. Accessed October 23rd, 2017.
Definition / general
- Fluid filled cavity within spinal cord (syringomyelia) or brain stem (syringobulbia)
- Hydromyelia: accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) causing simple distention of central canal of spinal cord lined by ependymal cells
- Syringomyelia: accumulation of CSF dissecting into surrounding white matter to form a paracentral cavity, not lined by ependyma
- Syringohydromyelia: combination of both, seen in most cases
- Predisposing factors include craniocervical junction abnormalities, spinal cord trauma, spinal cord tumors (Merck Manual: Syrinx of the Spinal Cord or Brain Stem)