Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts-nontumor
Biliary tract disease
Reviewers: Komal Arora, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 19 May 2012, last major update May 2012
Copyright: (c) 2004-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Also called acute cholangitis
● Biliary tract infection (E. coli, Klebsiella, enterococci, Postgrad Med J 2007;83:773), usually due to obstruction (Infect Dis Clin North Am 2000;14:521, Wikipedia)
● Rarely due to adenovirus (Pediatr Dev Pathol 2003;6:156)
● 72 year old man with cholangitis due to Lactococcus lactis cremoris bacteraemia (J Med Case Rep 2009 Jan 6;3:3)
● Neutrophils within lumina of interlobular bile ducts
● Large ducts may be destroyed and replaced by scar or atretic ducts
End of Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts-nontumor > Biliary tract disease > Ascending cholangitis
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).