Reviewers: Elliot Weisenberg, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 21 September 2011, last major update September 2011
Copyright: (c) 2003-2011, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Aerobic, mobile, flagellated gram negative bacillus that survives in water, soil and vegetation
● Worldwide distribution (eMedicine)
● Resistant to many disinfectants, common in hospital environment, common cause of hospital acquired infections
● Commonly colonizes humans, but rarely causes disease in healthy subjects
● Affects primarily infants, cystic fibrosis, immunocompromise, critically ill, neutropenia and burns / on ventilators
● Immunocompromised usually have paucicellular pattern, rapidly progressive course with bronchopneumonia and bacteremia
● Immunocompetent have a cellular pneumonia, more protracted course
● Perivascular bacterial infiltration is somewhat specific for pseudomonas
● Rare: 0.3% of neonatal ICU admissions
● Usually low birth weight (1.2% of low birth weight admissions)
● Mortality 32-87% with death within 1-2 days
● Diagnosis made by culture
● 49 year old woman with fatal pneumonia likely associated with contaminated hot tub
● Necrotizing pneumonia with 2 patterns - paucicellular coagulative confluent bronchopneumonia with perivascular bacillary infiltration (bacteremic) or cellular pneumonia without evidence of perivascular organisms (non-bactermic)
● Non-bacteremic: often occurs in debilitated patients with chronic lung or heart disease through aspiration
● Hum Pathol 2003;34:929
End of Lung-nontumor > Infections > Pseudomonas aeruginosa
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).