Penis and scrotum
Tancho’s nodules / paraffinomas / lipogranulomas
Reviewers: Antonio Cubilla, M.D. and Alcides Chaux, M.D. (see Author/Reviewers page)
Revised: 20 February 2010, last major update February 2010
Copyright: (c) 2002-2010, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Custom among some Asian populations to implant, inject or insert paraffin or other foreign material (such as glass spheres) under the skin of the penis to improve sexual pleasure
● Tancho is a brand of hair pomade widely used in the Far East and Southeast Asia
● Custom among some Asian populations to enlarge penis by injecting mineral oil, paraffin (paraffinoma), silicone or vaseline (Urology 2008;71:1132)
● Inflammatory / foreign body reaction may occur years after the injection
● Associated with genital tattoo
● May cause fistulas or ulcers (J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2008;22:845)
● May be important to recognize for forensic cases (Med Sci Law 2006;46:349)
● Palpable subcutaneous firm nodules
● Distortion of organ with evident gross abnormalities
● May extend to adjacent structures such as scrotum
● 71 year old man with paraffinoma almost 40 years after injections (Int Urol Nephrol 2007;39:553)
● May require local surgical resection
● Inflammatory foreign body reaction with variable fibrosis surrounding inserted material
● Numerous vacuoles ranging from tiny to large and cystically dilated (pseudocysts)
● Stroma may be sclerotic (sclerosing lipogranuloma) and contain inflammatory cells and foreign-body giant cells
End of Penis and scrotum > Inflammatory Lesions > Tancho’s nodules and paraffinomas
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must also be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).