Cite this page: Gulwani H. Atresia / stenosis. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/smallbowelatresiastenosis.html. Accessed January 18th, 2020.
Definition / general
- Atresia: imperforate mucosal diaphragm or string-like segment of bowel
- Stenosis: narrowing of lumen; less common
- Complications: perforation, meconium peritonitis, brown bowel syndrome
- Developmental failure, intrauterine vascular accidents, intussusceptions
- 46 day old boy with multiple areas of jejunal atresia with apple peel deformity (twisted around an artery) associated with 22q11 abnormality (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2000;124:880)