Reviewer: Nat Pernick, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 5 September 2013, last major update June 2005
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
PubMed Search: RET[title]
- Gene at 10q11.2
- Receptor tyrosine kinase expressed in neural crest cells
- RET ligand is glial-derived neurotrophic factor
- Activating mutations in 90% of patients with MEN 2A and 2B and FMTC (familial medullary thyroid carcinoma)
- Inactivating mutations in Hirschsprung's disease
- RET/PTC gene arrangement is common in papillary thyroid carcinoma; also seen in Hashimoto’s thyroiditis
- Includes RET/PTC1 (60-70%), RET/PTC3 (20-30%)
- Rare families have FMTC & Hirschsprung's, perhaps due to tissue-specific modifiers
End of Stains > RET
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com
with any questions (click here for other