Cite this page: Ziadie MS. Placental site subinvolution. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/placentaplacentalsiteinvol.html. Accessed September 17th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Delayed / incomplete sloughing of the modified spiral arteries in the superficial myometrium beneath the placental attachment site
- Important cause of late postpartum bleeding
- May be due to deficiency in immunologic factors necessary for normal involution of uteroplacental arteries
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Curettings show large, dilated vessels that lack a medial coat and are partially / completely thrombosed
- Trophoblasts may be present