Cite this page: Demodex. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/skinnontumordemodex.html. Accessed January 16th, 2017.
Definition / General
- Mites are commonly present in inflamed follicles, but are usually nonpathogenic (Wikipedia)
- Common in dogs
- Common in basal cell carcinomas removed from the eyelids
- Follicular dilatation, the presence of dense homogenous eosinophilic material surrounding the mites, folliculitis and perifollicular chronic inflammation
- Often is a granulomatous reaction to extra-follicular Demodex, usually in granulomatous or pustular rosacea
- May see telangiectasia of superficial vessels, perifollicular granuloma and mild perivascular chronic inflammation