Cite this page: Ziadie MS. Low weight / small for gestational age. PathologyOutlines.com website. https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/placentalowweight.html. Accessed January 22nd, 2021.
Definition / general
- Placental weight that falls below the 10th percentile for gestational age
- Due to a variety of causes, including:
- Fetal factors: prematurity, fetal malformations or trisomy, small for date fetus, neonatal high hemoglobin or lower than expected body size in later childhood for fetus
- Maternal factors: low pregnancy weight gain, low maternal pregravid body weight, high maternal hemoglobin during pregnancy, gestational hypertension, paid employment during pregnancy, low parity, maternal diabetes, CMV, HSV or other chronic infections; other causes of reduced uteroplacental blood flow
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Evidence of placental hypoxia including terminal villous hypoplasia, chorangiosis or Tenney-Parker change