Table of ContentsDefinition / general | Treatment | Clinical images | Videos
Cite this page: Hamodat M. Gangrene. PathologyOutlines.com website. https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/skinnontumorgangrene.html. Accessed March 24th, 2023.
Definition / general
- Dry gangrene: coagulation necrosis of extremity due to slowly developing vascular occlusion
- Wet gangrene: infection and liquefaction of “dry gangrenous” tissue by saprophytic bacteria
- Associated with diabetes (Intern Med 2011;50:1303)
- See also Fournier's gangrene of penis / scrotum
- Debridement or possibly amputation; also antibiotics, hyperbaric oxygen, vascular surgery