Small bowel (small intestine)
Other / benign tumors and tumor-like conditions
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 22 December 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Intractable diarrhea syndrome, sometimes familial, beginning in neonates
● Also called intestinal epithelial dysplasia (Orphanet J Rare Dis 2007;2:20)
● Due to Epithelial cell adhesion molecule gene (EpCAM) (Gastroenterology 2008;135:429, Gut Liver 2010;4:407)
● Total parental nutrition
● Variable villus abnormality, epithelial crowding, disorganization and focal tufting
● No epithelial lymphocytosis
Electron microscopy description
● Basement membrane abnormalities; increase in desmosome length and number; decreased number of microvilli of surface enterocytes with structural disorganization
Electron microscopy images
End of Small bowel (small intestine) > Benign tumors and tumor-like conditions > Tufting enteropathy
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).