Mullerian cyst (Hattori’s Cyst)
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 16 March 2013, last major update December 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● First described in 2005 (Virchows Arch 2005;446:82)
● Typically women, in posterior mediastinum, showing müllerian differentiation (Ann Diagn Pathol 2007;11:417)
● Initially classified as bronchogenic or unspecified benign serous cysts
● 53 year old woman with previous mediastinal teratoma
(Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012;18:39)
● 1.3 to 5 cm with thin wall containing smooth muscle
● Lined by simple cylindrical or cuboidal, nonmucinous, and often ciliated epithelium resembling uterine tubal epithelium
● CK7, EMA, ER, PR
End of Mediastinum > Cystic lesions > Mullerian cyst (Hattori’s Cyst)
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).