Reviewers: Charanjeet Singh, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 15 October 2011, last major update September 2011
Copyright: (c) 2003-2011, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Rare tumor that presents with elevated serum AFP
● Metastases may mimic hepatocellular carcinoma (Am J Surg Pathol 2003;27:1302, Histopathology 1997;31:47)
● 42 year old man with ulcerative colitis and liver metastases (Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 2008;7:539)
● 59 year old man with adenocarcinoma having hepatoid component (Dis Colon Rectum 2003;46:826)
● 71 year old man with collision tumor with liposarcoma (World J Surg Oncol 2007;5:42)
● With ulcerative colitis (Dis Colon Rectum 2000;43:105)
● AFP producing tumor (Pathology 1995;27:277)
● Adenocarcinoma plus hepatocellular-like carcinoma composed of trabecular or solid pattern of large polygonal cells with abundant eosinophilic or clear cytoplasm
● Often vascular invasion
Cords of liver-like cells separated by sinuses
● Mucin, polyclonal CEA (cytoplasmic staining in adenocarcinoma and canalicular staining in hepatoid areas)
End of Colon tumor > Carcinoma > Hepatoid carcinoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).