Thymomas - cystic
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 24 February 2013, last major update December 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Cystic degeneration of thymoma in anterosuperior mediastinum
● Associated with paraneoplastic syndromes
● Encapsulated, uniloculated or multiloculated
● Variable cystic contents
● Bland proliferation of thymic epithelium (spindle or polygonal cells) present in cyst wall
● Usually no cholesterol granulomas, no cartilage, no smooth muscle
Spindle cell thymoma (type A) has cysts of various sizes
● Thymic cyst: no/minimal thymic epithelial cells in cyst wall; no evidence of thymoma
End of Mediastinum > Cystic lesions > Thymomas - cystic
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).